The Office of Geographic and Demographic Analysis is no longer a division of the Dept. of Administration.
The work units which made up this division can be found on the left menu of this page. Resources found on the GDA website are being
migrated to other domains.
Click and vote: citizenship on the internet
Extent: 16p., 140K. PDF 4.0
Examines the potential for online voting
Date: June 18, 2001
Subject(s): Science and technology; Public administration; Voting
Creator(s): Minnesota Planning (Agency). Critical Issues Team
Contributor: Sandra Stalker
Publisher: Minnesota Planning (Agency); Minnesota Planning (Agency)
Alternative resource record formats: XML | MARC record (for inclusion in library catalogs)
As the electoral process continues to evolve, some are looking to the Internet to revolutionize voting. This report examines Internet voting and addresses the following questions:
1) Will Internet voting encourage greater participation by citizens?
2) Can a system of voting by Internet be fair, accurate and secure?
3) What developments in technology are necessary to implement Internet voting effectively and economically?
- Convenience may increase voter turnout
- Who is responsible for elections?
- Internet voting – the next stage in an evolutionary process
- Internet voting should be introduced incrementally
- Concerns about Internet voting are widespread
- Vote online instead of in line
- Internet voting trials abound
- When will Internet voting become commonplace?
- What does the public think?
Viewing PDF Documents
Because of the complexity and size of some files, downloading may take
substantial time and requires adequate system memory. On a 56K modem,
allow for approximately 4 minutes per megabyte while downloading.
To view Adobe PDF documents you will need free software
available from http://www.adobe.com.
Visually impaired users can download free software from http://access.adobe.com.
If you have trouble with our PDF files, please see web
PDFs may open either "fit to window" or actual size. You may
adjust this display option with your browser to see detail, or to see the entire item.
To save PDF files, right click on link and select appropriate option.